Where did it all start?

The Fulham Cricket Club almost certainly started in 1905, with the Club playing in the West Torrens Cricket Association. Research by FCC Life Member, Cliff Thieley, has conclusively established that the Club joined the Adelaide & Suburban Cricket Association in 1910 and continued that affiliation for more than 70 years.

The Club soon became a driving force in the A&SCA, both on the field and in the administration of the Association. Since its inception, a number of well-known families have been associated with Fulham. Among these are the Stanford, Webb, Tonkin and Hank families. The record of the Webb family is particularly outstanding. The first captain of Fulham was Harold Webb Snr. In the 1920’s, an era of the three Webb brothers, Len, Harold Jnr. And Ray followed. A fourth Webb brother played for Fulham in the 1920’s and Ray Webb’s son played in the 1930’s. The late Mr Ray Webb was Association Secretary for 33 years solely, then jointly for a further 3 years until his sudden death in 1962. Over the years, he had been Captain, Secretary, President and Patron of Fulham.

The Fulham Cricket Club has had many and varied grounds in its more than 100 years history. Prior to World War II, the Club had used a section of the Fulham Park Stud, on the north bank of the Torrens, opposite where Fulham Park Drive now meets the river. Later an area between Fulham Park Drive and the Torrens outlet was used, then two spots within the vicinity of the Henley Beach Road & Tapleys Hill Road corner, behind the present BP Srvice Station. For seven or eight seasons following the war, Fulham used pitches in the south parklands. In 1954, the Club was granted the use of the Lockleys Oval in Rutland Avenue. This remained the home ground, interrupted by seasons at May Terrace and Underdale High School, until the move in 1980 to the current Collins Reserve home ground. From 1972 to 1980, the Club used the current western side turf pitch ground at Lockleys Oval, shifting from the hard-wicket football ground when the Club joined the Adelaide Turf Cricket Association in 1972.